Purpose and scope
This service manual is a reference for periodic preventive maintenance and corrective service procedures for the Welch Allyn Connex Vital Signs Monitor 6000 Series, firmware version 2.0X–2.1X. It is intended for use only by trained and qualified service personnel. Corrective service is supported to the level of field-replaceable units. These include circuit-board assemblies and some subassemblies, case parts, and other parts.
CAUTION No component-level repair of circuit boards and subassemblies is supported. Use only the repair procedures described in this manual. WARNING When performing a service procedure, follow the instructions exactly as presented in this manual. Failure to do so could damage the monitor, invalidate the product warranty, and lead to serious personal injury.
Find instructions for functional testing and performance verification in the Welch Allyn Service Tool help files.
This manual applies only to this device. For servicing of any other vital signs monitor, see the service manual for the specific device.
Service work not described in this manual must be performed by qualified service personnel at the factory or at an authorized Welch Allyn service center.
Technical support services
Welch Allyn offers the following technical support services:
• Telephone support
• Loaner equipment
• Service agreements
• Service training
• Replacement service parts
• Product service
For information on any of these services, go to www.welchallyn.com.
The Welch Allyn Service Tool
The Welch Allyn Service Tool is available in the following editions:
• Silver: Accompanies your device.
• Gold: Required to perform complete functional verification and calibration. This edition requires an additional license. For more information about acquiring this license, contact Welch Allyn.
Note To qualify for the Gold license, you must attend the Welch Allyn technical training course or complete online training for the device.
Clinicians and technical service personnel can use the service tool to manage and maintain supported Welch Allyn products. You can use the service tool to do the following:
• Review device information. When connected to the device, the service tool lists installed modules, installed firmware and hardware versions, warranty and repair information, status, and usage history.
• Receive notifications when periodic maintenance is needed. The service tool can help you manage and maintain your entire inventory of supported Welch Allyn products. Through the remote service function, the service tool can connect to Welch Allyn Customer Service. With this functionality you can automatically receive firmware updates and feature upgrades for your supported products, including software upgrades for the service tool.
• Install updates and upgrades. The service tool can read the firmware version for each module and check for available updates or upgrades.
• Create a work list. The work list provides information about service actions— referred to as work orders—that are waiting for you to perform on your maintained devices. Work orders may include periodic calibrations, upgrades, or license installations.
• Schedule periodic maintenance. You can use the service tool to set the service interval for each maintained device.
• View and save logs. You can download and save log files from the device for analysis to help diagnose and identify reported issues.
• Create user accounts. Administrators can create user accounts and set permission levels to control access to the features, allowing one group to perform administrative tasks and another to perform service tasks. Restricting access prevents the service tool from being used to make unauthorized changes on a connected device.
• Perform functional verification and calibration. The service tool can check any device requiring calibration and, if necessary, calibrate the device to match the design specifications. This feature is not supported for all products and requires the service tool, Gold edition, for each supported product.
• Recover devices. In the rare case where a device can no longer boot because of corrupted firmware, the service tool can connect the device to Welch Allyn Technical Support to reinstall the firmware.
• Extensible. The service tool software accepts new plug-ins to support future Welch Allyn products.
Some of these features are enabled for any user (Silver edition). Others require special user account privileges or a Welch Allyn service contract (Gold edition). If you require gold-level support for a Welch Allyn product, please contact Welch Allyn technical support.